Japan Guide & Information Japan Guide & Information

UPDATE | January 30, 2019

【Examination Guide】 "University" for International Students

It is Basic information for foreign international students to advance to "university". Let's get ready for going to university by roughly checking the characteristics of Japanese universities, main application conditions, entrance examination method, cost etc.

  • Share
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE

● Features of "Japanese universities"

There are three types of universities in Japan: "national" established by the country, "public" established by local governments, etc., school corporation or "private" established by the corporation.

In Japan, about 80% of them are private universities. In addition, although some universities enter September to October, most of the schools are universities entrance in April.

Although the period of study is four years in principle, it is six years in the case of medicine, dentistry, some pharmacology, and veterinary medicine whose goal is to acquire professional national qualifications etc.

Among several higher education institutions, universities are positioned as academic centers, as a place to acquire high education and professional competence.

In educational course education at Japanese universities, it is necessary to include "1) knowledge and understanding on multiculturalism, society, nature, 2) intellectual activities such as communication skills and problem solving skills, and" general purpose technology "required for occupation and social life, "Attitude / directionality" such as self-management ability and teamwork, and (4) "comprehensive learning experience and creative thinking ability" that can make comprehensive use of these are recommended. .

There are a number of educational institutions in Japan that are very similar in name to universities.

One of the things we see often is "Large School" and "Junior College School". The primary school is a different educational institution from the university, and it is often used in education and training facilities. The name of the university is not regulated by law, and any organization can freely use it. For that reason, some institutions can not acquire any title, such as professional, bachelor, master's degree, or degree.

Similarly, "graduate school university" is a name similar to university, but this is a graduate school that does not have a university (undergraduate course).

Both have very similar names to university so let's examine them properly to see if they can learn according to your purpose.

In Japan, it is mainly conducted at a graduate school, but some university faculties also have schools that accept "foreign students". If you wish to enroll at undergraduate research students, you can contact the faculty who wish to receive guidance in advance at the university accepting undergraduate research students, and you can do research at the desired university only by screening documents if you get inquiries.


● Conditions necessary for entering university

In order to enter the university, it is necessary to satisfy one of the following conditions.

1: Those who completed a 12-year course in school education in a foreign country

2: Those who passed the academic ability test equivalent to the completion of 12 years in a foreign country and reached the age of 18

3: In Japan, those who have completed a foreign school designated as foreign high school equivalent and have reached 18 years of age

4: Those who completed a course designated as Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology for more than 11 years in a foreign country

5: Holds the International Baccalaureate, Abitur, French Baccalaureate qualifications, or those who have reached the age of 18 who satisfy the results individually determined by the school on the GCEA level test

6: Those who completed the 12-year course of educational facilities accredited by international evaluation groups (WASC, CIS, ACSI) and reached 18 years of age

7: Those who passed the high school graduation degree certification exam and reached 18 years old

8: Participating qualifications other than the above specified by the School Education Law satisfy any condition

9: Those who have reached 18 years of age who have acknowledged the academic ability equal to or higher than those who graduated from high school by individual examination of entrance qualification at school

In case of courses less than 12 years for ※ 1 ~ 3, and if you have not completed the designated course in a foreign country, it is necessary to further complete the specified preparatory curriculum or the training facility of the training facility etc You might.

● Conditions for university graduation and completion

Those who graduate after satisfying the following conditions will be awarded a "bachelor's degree".

Length of study Acquisition unit
General Faculty 4 years More than 124 units
School of Pharmacy (4 years system) 4 years 188 units or more
School of Medicine / School of Dentistry 6 years 188 units or more
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine 6 years 182 units or more
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (6 years) 6 years 186 units or more

Acquisition units include compulsory courses designated by faculties or departments.

In addition, the Faculty of Pharmacy has a four-year department and a six-year department, but in order to acquire qualification for a pharmacist national exam it is necessary to go on to a six-year department.

Depending on the type of qualifications, including pharmacists, administrative nutritionists, doctors, etc., some graduates alone can not obtain qualifications and only qualifications for national qualifications can be obtained. When going on to enter the school for the purpose of acquiring qualifications, let's investigate what kind of steps are available before obtaining qualifications.

● Expenses for entering university

The list below is the average amount of Japanese university 's first year payment (Japanese student).

The first year delivery amount is the expenses for entering the entrance including entrance fee, tuition fee, facility and facility fee etc, and the amount displayed here is the cost before applying scholarship etc. .

National ¥817,800
public ¥932,519
private Medical science ¥5,096,305
Dentistry ¥4,289,239
Pharmacy ¥2,082,020
Art science ¥1,651,260
Health Science ¥1,507,010
Science and engineering ¥1,432,394
Agriculture · Veterinary medicine ¥1,360,046
Physical education ¥1,276,559
Home economics ¥1,250,145
Literature / Pedagogy ¥1,173,433
Sociology and welfare science ¥1,149,000
Legal · Commerce · Economics ¥1,122,199
Theology / Buddhism studies ¥1,099,235
International Student Department (1 year course) ¥400,000~¥850,000
International Student Department (1 year and half course) ¥642,000~¥1,075,000
International Student Department (2 years course) ¥932,000~¥1,280,000

Source: MEXT / JASSO (2018-2019 Student Guide to Japan)

Apart from those first-year payments, there are entrance examination fees at the time of application, travel expenses and staying expenses when coming to Japan from overseas, moving if you live near a Professional Training College you enroll And expenses for moving in are required.

In addition, in the case of university entrance examination, there are various entrance examination methods such as " Special Selection for International Students examination" "general admission examination" "recommendation entrance examination" "AO entrance examination". Depending on the entrance examination method, the exam date, the announcement date of acceptance, etc., the delivery deadline of the enrollment fee will differ. If the payment can not be made by the delivery deadline, the acceptance may be canceled. Please note that you may have to pay the enrollment fee to schools that did not finally enter the school depending on the schedule of the entrance examination when taking multiple schools.

Although it seems to cost quite a lot of money to enter the university, it is likely that a considerable amount of expenses will be incurred, but various organizations, including the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), various scholarships and Tuition reductions (30% There is also a system that supports Tuition burden, such as ~ full amount). Please check the website of each school for details or contact the university of your choice.

Some scholarships can only be used for a specific purpose, so when you examine what and when and how much it costs other than the amount you will pay to the school, and when you can see how much money you can use for the cost support system It will be good.

> Find out about 'scholarship'

● Documents necessary for university application

Required documents to be submitted vary by each school. If the school is decided, please be sure to confirm necessary documents by application guidelines, website, direct inquiries etc.

Documents generally required for many university entrance exams are as follows. Documents that take time to publish and the time it takes for postings vary from region to region, so let's prepare with a margin.

1: Application for admission (designated by the school)

2: Certificate of graduation (prospective) of senior high school in your country

3: Transcript of academic records of your upper secondary school or final school

4: Letter of recommendation from the principal or faculty member of the senior high school

5: Japanese language ability or English proficiency certificate

6: Others (Documents concerning Guarantor etc.)

As a certificate of Japanese proficiency, the results of "TOEFL®", "TOEIC®", "IELTS", etc. as a certificate of English proficiency such as "EJU Examination for EJU" (JLPT) Submission is often required.

There are universities and undergraduate departments that can graduate in English only, but many Japanese universities will give lectures in Japanese only. If you are worried about Japanese, it is also a good idea to consider enrolling in a Japanese language institution attached to the university "Department of International Student (Department of Japanese Studies)" before taking the undergraduate exam.

> Explore the "EJU Examination for EJU" (EJU)

> Study about 'Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)'

● Contents of university Entrance Examination

Although it is also possible to take the same exams as Japanese examinees, many universities conduct special tests for international students.

Although the contents of the examination vary depending on the university, in many cases, a combination of the following will be done.

1: Document examination (application documents)

2: Academic ability test (written examination of designated subjects)

3: Interview (direct or online)

4: Essay and Writing

5: Inspection concerning other abilities and aptitude etc.

6: University examination center exam

(3) There are schools that conduct a two-step selection method that only those who passed such as (1) document examination and (2) scholastic ability examination are implemented. In that case, the examination date may span several days, so if you apply from outside Japan and take the examination in Japan, please prepare the exam schedule and details so that you can stay during the period including the second exam Let's check well.

For Japanese university entrance examination, there are multiple examination methods available. One of them is to decide pass / fail based on the result of common test (6) There is a method called university entrance examination exam. In the case of national and public universities, the University Entrance Examination Examination is often used as the first stage examination before taking individual exams at each university. In the case of a private university, you can apply to multiple universities in this one exam.

There are also universities that do not have much, but are conducting the designated Japanese language school recommendation entrance examination.

This is a very special test that only college-designated Japanese language school students can take. Although there are limitations on the number of people who can take an exam from each Japanese language school, and the conditions for filing are often strictly set, this is a test method with a high pass rate. If you are enrolled in a Japanese language school, you may want to check if the designated school recommendation is coming.

● University search using university briefings and websites

Japanese universities need to decide the desired departments and departments at the time of application.

Although you may be able to transfer to another undergraduate department or department after enrollment, it is very difficult that you need to take an exam for incorporation, or you have decided which faculties or departments you can transfer.

Compare the departments and departments where you want to learn from early, what school you can learn, what school you can learn, and whether the support system for international students such as Scholarship Program and dormitory are substantial It is important to check firmly whether it will be possible to continue through for 4 or 6 years.

When studying what kind of school there is, of course it is important to consult with the teacher of the school that you are going to or the people you know, but by specifying conditions on the website like "アクセス日本留学" Let's participate in "Schools Guidance for International Students" that you can try or talk to the person in charge of the university directly.

And, if you find some schools you care about, join the "Open Campus" etc. as much as possible and take a look at your own eyes. By actually going to school, you may see another appeal.

> Join the briefing session for admission

> Search schools by specifying conditions

■ Recommended for those who read this article

[Examination Guide] Japanese higher education institutions accepting international students

The person who wrote this article


アクセス日本留学Editorial Department.アクセス日本留学" where foreign students can request materials to find Japanese schools, and hold "advancement information sessions for foreign students".

  • Share
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE


Popular articles Popular articles