Japan Guide & Information Japan Guide & Information

UPDATE | January 30, 2019

【Examination Guide】 "International College" for international students

It is Basic information for foreign international students to advance to "professional university". Let 's get ready to go on to professional college by roughly checking the characteristics of Japanese professional colleges and universities, main application conditions, entrance examination method, cost etc.

  • Share
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE

● Features of "Japanese professional college"

"Professional university (specialized junior college)" is a new higher education institution in Japan that is newly established from fiscal 2019.


Although two words "specialty" and "university" are used, it is a school type that does not belong to either, and is a new higher education institution that is awarded a "bachelor degree (professional)" degree when you graduate.

Unlike the education of universities and junior colleges who emphasize education and academic research, in the era of rapid change, "Practical ability to utilize technology and knowledge that can be active as an immediate fighting force" "Creative power" that creates new things and services without being bound by existing ideas ". The goal of education is to nurture personnel who have both of them.

Education of a professional university is the biggest feature to do in a close environment with the industry.

With the cooperation of engineers and stakeholders who are engaged in professionals requiring expertise, we will conduct education that cooperates with each industry. Therefore, there are provisions such that more than 3 to 40% of graduation credits are taken for practical training and other subjects, corporate training, etc. are taken at more than 10 credits at junior colleges and more than 20 credits at university.

Furthermore, it is one of the features of professional college universities that it is a policy to aggressively accept various students such as working people compared to general universities. Depending on the school, you can select a flexible learning style such as being able to get a job once after completing the previous course and then re-enrolling as a social person into the second term course.

There are various fields specialized for each school, but it can be set up as a professional college university in any field other than medicine, dentistry, six-year pharmacy, veterinary medicine . Currently, only three schools are planned to be opened, but there are several schools that are scheduled to open after the following year, there are also backgrounds of newly created educational institutions as requested by each industry, so in the future It is expected that professional colleges and universities on tourism, food, agriculture, IT and so on, and specialized universities on strengthening industries in Japan will increase.


● Differences between professional universities and universities, Professional Training College

1: "University" to study broadly, "professional college" to learn deeply

The major difference with general universities is the educational goal and research area.

General universities are positioned as a place to acquire high education and professional competence. Especially in undergraduate course, we aim to accept comprehensive capacity to accept various cultures and environments and to engage with various people. Therefore, we do specialized research on undergraduate departments and departments, but also general liberal arts education.

On the other hand, professional universities will educate themselves to acquire high knowledge and ability specialized in specific industries with the aim of developing human resources who will lead the field in a specific industry.

Professional colleges have limited research areas, so at the same time, career selection after graduation is also limited to some extent has a big difference. It can be said that it is a perfect educational institution for those who want to play an active role as a specialist within the industry, which has already decided on the industry that they want to advance after graduation.

2: Difference between title and degree

The biggest difference from the Professional Training College is the difference in degree and title that can be obtained after completion.

The research area of the professional college is close to Professional Training College, but the treatment after graduation is different because the installation classification is different. After completing Professional Training College you can earn "title" of "professional" "advanced professional", and upon completion of a professional college you will be awarded a "degree" of "bachelor (professional)".

There is a difference between "title" and "degree", and "title" and "degree" are regarded as equivalent in Japan, but only internationally accepted degrees.

For example, an "advanced professional" who acquires advanced skills at a Professional Training College with a term of over 4 years or more and a "bachelor" awarded after completing a 4th (or 6th) university are all Although it is possible to enroll in the graduate school, it is not always possible to go to graduate school outside Japan.

● Conditions necessary for enrolling in a professional university

Because it is classified as the same as university by law, it is necessary to satisfy one of the following conditions as with university as well.

1: Those who completed a 12-year course in school education in a foreign country

2: Those who passed the academic ability test equivalent to the completion of 12 years in a foreign country and reached the age of 18

3: In Japan, those who have completed a foreign school designated as foreign high school equivalent and have reached 18 years of age

4: Those who completed a course designated as Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology for more than 11 years in a foreign country

5: Holds the International Baccalaureate, Abitur, French Baccalaureate qualifications, or those who have reached the age of 18 who satisfy the results individually determined by the school on the GCEA level test

6: Those who completed the 12-year course of educational facilities accredited by international evaluation groups (WASC, CIS, ACSI) and reached 18 years of age

7: Those who passed the high school graduation degree certification exam and reached 18 years old

8: Participating qualifications other than the above specified by the School Education Law satisfy any condition

9: Those who have reached 18 years of age who have acknowledged the academic ability equal to or higher than those who graduated from high school by individual examination of entrance qualification at school

In case of courses less than 12 years for ※ 1 ~ 3, and if you have not completed the designated course in a foreign country, it is necessary to further complete the specified preparatory curriculum or the training facility of the training facility etc You might.

● Conditions for graduation and completion of professional university

For those who graduate that satisfy the following conditions, you will be awarded a "Bachelor (Professional)" "Junior College Bachelor (Professional)" degree.

Acquisition unit Professional Junior College
degree Bachelor (professional) Junior college professional (professional)
Working Duration 4 years 2 years
Acquisition unit More than 124 units More than 62 credits
Of those subjects such as practical training About 38 to 50 units or more 18 units - 25 units or more
Of these, 40 units 20 units

● Expenses for entering a professional university

The list below is the average amount of Japanese university 's first year payment (Japanese student).

The first year delivery amount is the expenses for entering the entrance including entrance fee, tuition fee, facility and facility fee etc, and the amount displayed here is the cost before applying scholarship etc. .

Although the tendency of the overall Tuition is still unknown although the number of schools is still small and the field is limited yet, professional college universities use the latest facilities and equipment to learn expert knowledge, so general It is expected that Tuition will increase by 20 to 30% compared with the Tuition of the university.

Although it seems that the Tuition will be rather large, you can use scholarships such as the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) as well as universities, and for each school, you can apply for various scholarships and Tuition reduction (tuition fee There is also a system to support Tuition Japan such as 30% ~ full price etc. Please check the website of each school for details or contact the professional university of your choice.

private General college Professional college
Art science ¥1,651,260 ¥1,980,000
Health Science ¥1,507,010 ¥1,800,000
Science and engineering ¥1,432,394 ¥1,710,000
Agriculture · Veterinary medicine ¥1,360,046 \1,630,000
Physical education ¥1,276,559 ¥1,520,000
家政学 ¥1,250,145 ¥1,500,000
Literature / Pedagogy ¥1,173,433 ¥1,400,000
Sociology and welfare science ¥1,149,000 ¥1,380,000
Legal · Commerce · Economics ¥1,122,199 ¥1,340,000
Theology / Buddhism studies ¥1,099,235 ¥1,320,000

Source: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology / JASSO (2018-2019 Student Guide to Japan) Professional College School Tuition : ACCESS LEAD Co., Ltd.

Besides these first-year payments, if you are going to live by your entrance examination fee at the time of application, travel expenses and staying expenses when you come to Japan from overseas, living near a professional university you enroll It will cost expenses for moving or moving in.

Some scholarships can not be used for these, so you may want to examine what when and how much you will spend in addition to what you pay to school and when and how much you can use the cost support system.

> Find out about 'scholarship'

Documents necessary for application of professional university

Like applicant qualifications, it is expected that the same document submission as university will be required as well.

Required documents to be submitted vary by each school. If the school is decided, please be sure to confirm necessary documents by application guidelines, website, direct inquiries etc.

Documents generally required for university entrance examination are as follows. Documents that take time to publish and the time it takes for postings vary from region to region, so let's prepare with a margin.

1: Application for admission (designated by the school)

2: Certificate of graduation (prospective) of senior high school in your country

3: Transcript of academic records of your upper secondary school or final school

4: Letter of recommendation from the principal or faculty member of the senior high school

5: Japanese language ability or English proficiency certificate

6: Others (Documents concerning Guarantor etc.)

As a certificate of Japanese proficiency, the results of "TOEFL®", "TOEIC®", "IELTS", etc. as a certificate of English proficiency such as "EJU Examination for EJU" (JLPT) Submission is often required.

> Explore the "EJU Examination for EJU" (EJU)
> "Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT))"

● Contents of Entrance Examination for professional universities

It is expected to be the same contents as university here.

Although it is also possible to take the same exam as a Japanese examinee in the case of a general university, there are cases where a special exam for international students is carried out. Also, the content of the exam varies from school to school, but in many cases, a combination of the following will be done.

1: Document examination (application documents)

2: Academic ability test (written examination of designated subjects)

3: Interview (direct or online)

4: Essay and Writing

5: Inspection concerning other abilities and aptitude etc.

6: University examination center exam

(3) There are schools that conduct a two-step selection method that only the successful applicants such as (4) document examination and (2) scholastic ability examination are carried out. In that case, since the examination date may span several days, if you apply from outside of Japan and take the examination in Japan, please prepare the exam schedule and content so that you can stay during the period including the second examination in advance Let's check well.

It is expected that professional universities will be more interested in learning motivation in the field because of their specialization in specific fields. Why did you decide to advance to that field, what kind of knowledge and technology you would like to learn after admission, what kind of new approach you would like to do in that field after graduation, etc. It is important to keep it organized.

● Professional college search using advanced seminars and websites

Japanese professional colleges need to decide the department or course desired at the time of application.

In particular, professional universities conduct "specialized research in specific fields", so from the earliest so that it is not different from the learning contents I thought, ... the field I would like to learn It is likely to be able to continue to compare whether the support system for international students is full such as what department or department has, what school to learn, Scholarship Program , presence of dormitory etc It is important to check whether or not.

When studying what kind of school there is, it is important, as well as consulting with the teacher of the school that you are going to and the person you know, but you can search the school by specifying the conditions on the website like " アクセス日本留学 " Let's participate in the " Schools Guidance for International Students " where you can talk with the person in charge of the professional college directly.

Then, if you find some schools you care about, you should take part in "Experience Enrollment" or "Open Campus" as much as possible and take a look at your own eyes. By actually going to school, you may see another appeal.

> Join the briefing session for admission

> Search schools by specifying conditions

■ Recommended for those who read this article

【Examination Guide】 Japanese higher education institutions accepting international students

[Examination Guide] Information for entrance into a " Professional Training College " for international students

The person who wrote this article


アクセス日本留学Editorial Department.アクセス日本留学" where foreign students can request materials to find Japanese schools, and hold "advancement information sessions for foreign students".

  • Share
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE


Popular articles Popular articles