Japan Guide & Information Japan Guide & Information

UPDATE | November 04, 2020

There are rules for part-time jobs for international students! Let's check before starting a part-time job

If your status of residence is "College Student" when you come to Japan, you need a permit to work in Japan. Even after getting permission from the Immigration Bureau, you still need to know the various rules. You can work part-time within 28 hours a week (up to 8 hours a day during long school holidays) and must work outside of sex business. I will also explain what happens if you do not follow the rules and the points when looking for a part-time job.

  • Share
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE

● Permission is required for immigration before working part-time

If you are staying in Japan to attend a Japanese educational institution, the status of residence of a foreigner is "College Student". I live in Japan to study, so if I want to work part-time, I have to go to the Immigration Bureau in advance to get permission for "out-of-qualification activities".

There are three things to bring to the Immigration Bureau: a residence card, a passport, and an application form. You must go to the Immigration Bureau to complete the procedure. You can also apply at the airport where you can get a residence card only when you come to Japan to study abroad. In addition, it takes about 2 weeks to 2 months from application to obtaining permission.


● International students can work up to 28 hours a week

You may need to be careful even after you have been granted permission for "out-of-qualification activities". International students can work up to 28 hours a week. You can work up to 8 hours a day only during long school holidays such as summer vacation and winter vacation.

Also, before deciding on a part-time job, please check the type of job when you work. International students cannot do what is called "sex business". For example, international students should not work part-time at arcades, pachinko parlors, majan stores, cabarets, bars, snacks, and sex shops. ..

If you don't follow the rules, it will be "illegal employment". You may not be able to renew your visa, and in the worst case, you will be deported (you will be deported from Japan and returned to your own country regardless of your will), and the deported international students will be deported for at least 5 years. Cannot enter Japan.

● Points to check when working part-time in Japan

When looking for a part-time job for international students, I often look at free job magazines on the Internet, introducing friends, and at convenience stores. Before the interview, if possible, check the following three points and be careful.

① Whether the store you want to work in is a customs business

② Will you pay for transportation (train and bus costs to get to your part-time job)?

③ Is the hourly wage higher than the minimum wage of the prefecture where you work part-time?

If you find a good part-time job, you will have to call and decide on an interview date. If you didn't write anything from ① to ③ in the job listing, ask when you call.

③ may be difficult to understand.

For example, in Tokyo, the workplace must pay an hourly wage of 1013 yen or more to working people. (As of October 2020) This varies depending on the prefecture. It is a legal requirement.

This minimum wage changes from time to time, so be sure to check before deciding where to work.

● If you have any concerns, let's talk

"Is this part-time job okay?"

If you feel uneasy, talk to a Japanese acquaintance or a Japanese language school office worker.

If you improve your level of Japanese, you will be able to discuss your concerns in Japanese.

Also, the types of jobs that you can work part-time differ depending on your level of Japanese. If you want to work in a restaurant hall or convenience store where you can talk directly with Japanese people, aim for intermediate or higher Japanese conversation ability. It will be easier to be adopted.

If you work part-time in Japan, you will understand the Japanese that Japanese people use on a daily basis, which is not taught at school. Of course, you can also practice Japanese conversation.

If you would like to work part-time in Japan, please follow the rules for international students to work part-time in Japan and be familiar with Japanese law.

■ Recommended for those who read this article

[Life in Japan] What international students should be aware of when working part-time in Japan

The person who wrote this article

Rio Wakabayashi

Free writer who likes reading. Born and raised in Osaka and moved to Tokyo in 2010. He writes articles, book reviews, and columns. Currently, while writing, she teaches Japanese to foreigners at a Japanese language school in Tokyo.

  • Share
  • facebook
  • Twitter
  • LINE


Popular articles Popular articles