Examination · life information for foreign students

EJU Examination (EJU)

The EJU exam is an exam conducted by the Japan Student Services Organization as one of the entrance examination examination for Japanese private universities (undergraduates) for private international students.

  • ■ Implementation timing: It is two times every June (1st) and November (2nd).
  • Course: Please choose the subject you wish to apply from the following 4 subjects and take the exam.
    Subject the purpose time Scoring range Choice
    Japanese Measure the Japanese ability (Academic · Japanese) that can respond to studies at Japanese universities etc. 125 minutes Reading comprehension, listening comprehension
    0 to 400 points
    Description 0 to 50 points
    Science Measure the basic academic ability of science (physics, chemistry, biology) necessary for studying in undergraduate departments of Japanese universities etc. 80 minutes 0 to 200 points ★1
    General subject Measure basic academic ability, especially thinking ability, logical ability of the literature necessary for studying at universities etc in Japan. 80 minutes 0 to 200 points -
    Mathematics Measure the basic academic ability of mathematics necessary for studying at universities in Japan. 80 minutes 0 to 200 points ★2

    ★ 1: 2 subjects selected from physics, chemistry, biology

    ★ 2: Course 1 (for undergraduate faculties with a relatively small degree of undergraduate department and mathematics), course 2 (for either undergraduate departments that require mathematics highly

  • ■ Quiz Language: You can take the examination in either Japanese or English by designation of the school. (Japanese courses are only Japanese)
  • ■ From questions to results notification: Please contact the executing agency of each country for details.
    1. Reception period 1st: February - March 2nd: July (Please contact the organizing agency directly as there may be cases to change every year)
    Purchase "Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Examination Examination" at the book store, pay the exam fee, and submit the application form.
    2. Examination voucher Part 1: May 2nd: October Examination Voucher will be sent.
    3. Exam date Part 1: June 2nd: I will take the test in November.
    4. Result notification Part 1: July 2nd: December
    ● In response to inquiries from universities etc., we will inform the university of the score of the candidate.
    ● History to the applicant himself from JASSO.

Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Foreign students learning incentive expense benefit system

Scholarship of the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) scholarship for foreign private students who wish to enroll in university faculties, junior colleges or Professional Training College in Japan with excellent results at the EJU (EJU) We accept schedule reservations for the Ministry of Education, Foreign Students' Study Encouragement Prize.
You can apply for reservation when you take the EJU Examination (EJU) exam.

  • ■ Scholarships: 48,000 yen per month (Fiscal 2013)
  • Selection: We will select from applicants who have excellent Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students in Japan.

Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)

The Japanese Language Proficiency Test is an exam aimed at measuring and certifying Japanese language ability for foreigners who are studying Japanese.

  • ■ Implementation timing: It is two times in July (the first) and December (the second) every year.
  • ■ Examination subject <Test time> · Score range
    level Test subject Scoring range
    N1 Language knowledge (letters / vocabulary / grammar) · reading comprehension <110 minutes> Listening <60 minutes> 0 to 180 points
    N2 Language knowledge (letters / vocabulary / grammar) · Reading <105 minutes> Listening <50 minutes> 0 to 180 points
    N3 Language knowledge (letters / vocabulary) <30 minutes> Language knowledge (grammar) · reading comprehension <70 minutes> Listening <40 minutes> 0 to 180 points
    N4 Language knowledge (letters / vocabulary) <30 minutes> Language knowledge (grammar) · reading comprehension <60 minutes> Listening <35 minutes> 0 to 180 points
    N5 Language knowledge (letters / vocabulary) <25 minutes> Language knowledge (grammar) · reading comprehension <50 minutes> Listening <30 minutes> 0 to 180 points
  • ■ Flow of Examination Procedures (in the case of taking an examination in Japan)
    1. The schedule of the examination will be posted on the website of the Japan International Education Support Associationhttp://info.jees-jlpt.jp/Check with.
      1st: early February ~ / 2nd: early July ~
    2. Japan International Education Association websitehttp://info.jees-jlpt.jp/Register MyJLPT from. Alternatively, we will obtain an examination guide (application form) by handling bookstore.
      The first: mid-March ~ / 2nd: mid-Aug ~
    3. Japan International Education Association websitehttp://info.jees-jlpt.jp/Apply from, and pay the exam fee. Or, read carefully the examination guide, fill in the application form, pay the exam fee and mail it to the reception center.
      1st: Early April to early May / 2nd: Early September to early October
    4. You will receive an admission ticket from the Japan International Education Association Association.
      1st: mid June / 2nd: middle of November
    5. I will take an exam.
      1st: Early July / 2nd: Early December
    6. We will receive the results of the exam from the Japan International Education Association Association.
      1st: Early September / 2nd: Early February

    * The pass / fail judgment is judged for each level, and a pass / fail result notice will be sent to all examinees.
    In addition, a Japanese Language Proficiency Test will be issued to successful applicants.
    Those who applied through the Internet can log in to MyJLPT and check the result of the exam.

Japanese NAT-TEST

"Japanese NAT-TEST" is an examination to judge Japanese language ability of Japanese learners who do not speak Japanese.
Evaluate Japanese language comprehensively by examination in three fields of "character / vocabulary" "listening comprehension" and "reading comprehension" for each of five classes (level).
The standards and composition of the questions are almost the same as "JLPT" (JLPT).

  • ■ Exam date and deadline for acceptance (in 2014 and in Japan)
      1st Part 2 The 3 rd 4th 5th Sixth
    test day February 16
    April 20
    June 15
    August 3
    October 26
    December 14
    due date January 17
    March 21
    May 16
    July 4
    September 26
    November 14
  • ■ Time limit and point of examination (for first and second grade)
      test time Distribution (full mark)
    Language knowledge
    (Letters / vocabulary / grammar) · Reading comprehension
    Level 1: 110 minutes Level 2: 105 minutes 120 points
    Comprehension Level 1: 60 minutes * 1 Grade 2: 50 minutes * 1 60 points
    total Level 1: 170 minutes (2 hours 50 minutes) Second grade: 155 minutes (2 hours 35 minutes) 180 points

    ※ 1 time may change.

  • ■ Time Limit and Test Points (in the case of Grade 3, Class 4, Grade 5)
      test time Distribution (full mark)
    Language knowledge
    (Letters / vocabulary)
    Grade 3: 30 minutes Class 4: 30 minutes Grade 5: 25 minutes 60 points
    Language knowledge
    (Grammar · Reading comprehension)
    Grade 3: 70 minutes Grade 4: 60 minutes Grade 5: 50 minutes 60 points
    Comprehension Grade 3: 40 minutes * 1 Grade 4: 35 minutes * 1 Grade 5: 30 minutes * 1 60 points
    total Grade 3: 140 minutes
    (2 hours 20 minutes)
    Grade 4: 125 minutes
    (2 hours 5 minutes)
    Grade 5: 105 minutes
    (1 hour 45 minutes)
    180 points

    ※ 1 time may change.

  • Flow from application
    1. Application
      Please apply for the exam by the deadline of application deadline.
      Application for the exam will be completed with payment of exam fee.
    2. Receiving an admission ticket
      After the application is completed, an examination slip will be sent to the Street address / e-mail address written on the application form between the examination day and one week before.
      Also, a guide stating the location of the examination venue and the meeting hours will be sent along with the examination voucher.
    3. I will take the exam
    4. Result notification
      "Gradebook" will be sent to all those who have taken the examination within about 3 weeks from the exam.
      Also, "Pass certificate" will be sent to those who pass the exam.

Living Information (Housing · Part Time · Visa)

1. Housing

A dorm

There are many dormitories for foreign students in Japan. There are dormitories operated by the country and school, but there are dormitories managed by private enterprises.
In general, there is a toilet and a kitchen on the 1 floor, the type of the room is from a single room to a quadruple room or more, and everyone uses a toilet and a kitchen together in many cases. The rent for a month is different depending on the dorm, but it is around 2 - 60,000 yen (electricity, water supply, gas fee included).

How to find a dormitory If you do not provide a dormitory at school, ask the school teacher for an introduction. However, if you have to find it yourself, first check the accommodation search corner in the information medium for foreign students, such as "International Student Newspaper", "International Student", etc. in the school and call directly.
important point It is a communal life with everyone, so if you act with the idea that only yourself ought to be good, you can not spend it smoothly. Let 's try to understand each other with roommates and keep in mind that keeping the common space clean.
■ Renting

There are many rental rooms where foreign students can borrow in Japan. Room type is one room, 1K ~, 1DK ~, 1LDK ~ etc etc are available. There are many students who live alone, but most international students live in a room sharing room. (Prior approval to property manager is necessary)
In the case of renting, unlike dormitories, various procedures are necessary. For example, it is a guarantor. Depending on the property, there are also places where you need to be a Japanese guarantor. In addition, there are also some properties that you have to pay a guarantee money to the guarantor company designated by the management company of the building recently.

How to find a room
  1. Search on the Internet
    If you search on the Internet and have the property you like, call directly to the property you manage of the property, decide the schedule and go to see the property.
  2. When the place you want to live is decided, go directly to that place, look for nearby real estate and look for good property. This method is recommended because it is a local real estate and it is highly likely that you can get good property information.
important point In the case of rental you enter a guarantor. If troubles such as delinquency of rent occurred, a solidarity guarantor has to solve the trouble instead, so be careful that you act with responsibility on your own. Particular attention should be paid to the handling of gas, electricity, water in particular.
Also, Japan must properly separate garbage when throwing out garbage. How to sort garbage depends on the area you live in. For details, ask the management company or manager of the property for details.

2. Part-time job

In the case of a foreign student working part-time, you must receive "permission for non-qualification activities" at the local immigration bureau etc. nearby, with permission from the school enrolled. (See visa related information)

■ How to find a part-time job
  1. Get introduction of school.
    A department in charge of international student at school and have a part-time job introduced.
  2. Get an introduction of acquaintance.
    Have senior citizens of the school or friends introduce part-time jobs.
  3. Look at the part time job information magazine and search for it.
    When you go to a convenience store or bookstore, you can purchase a part-time job information magazine. Check these and apply directly by telephone, looking for the store you want to work on. After applying for a phone, let's prepare your resume.
  4. Search on the Internet.
    Since the above information magazine also has a site, it is also possible to search on the Internet. In the case of the Internet, you can also search for the information you want more precisely by narrowing down the location, type of business, occupation, hourly wage etc. If you find a store you want to work on, please apply directly on the net or by phone.
■ Points to note in writing a resume
  1. Let's write it carefully with a black pen or a fountain pen carefully.
  2. Always use certification pictures for resumes.
    You can not use things you took with a digital camera or pre-cuts. Also, when photographing a certification photo, let's shoot costumes and hair hair clean.
  3. Be sure to fill in the self-PR and motivation field.
    Self-publishing is a column to write things that you are good at, or just where you can not lose to others. The motivation for motivation is a column to write the reasons why you want to work here.
■ Limiting working hours
school Status Status of residence time
University / graduate school ·
Junior College
Private University International Student Department
Regular student Study abroad Within 28 hours per week
(Up to 8 hours a day during long-term leave)
Research student / auditor
Professional Training College · Professional Training College
Japanese language school (preparatory curriculum)
Japanese-language school

3. Visa

1. Status of Residence

The status of residence is divided into 27 according to the activities that foreigners can do in Japan, the type of status or status.
When the status of residence is "study abroad", the period of stay of each educational institution is as follows.

school Period of stay
University 4 years 3 months, 4 years,
3 years 3 months, 3 years,
2 years 3 months, 2 years,
1 year 3 months, 1 year, 6 months or 3 months
Junior college
College of Professional Training College
Professional Training College
Private University International Student Department
Exchange student (within 1 year) 1 year 3 months, 1 year, 6 months or 3 months
Japanese language institution (excluding Professional Training College )

2. Residence card

"Resident card (RESIDENCE CARD)" will be issued to foreigners whose period of stay is longer than 3 months. Whenever you are required to present your residence card, when you are asked for presentation from immigration inspectors, police officers, etc. In addition, in the event that a change has been made to the stated matters or when you transfer or leave from the institution you belong to, it is necessary to submit a notification to the Regional Immigration Bureau etc.

Procedure flow

  1. When entering from Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Chubu Airport, Kansai Airport
    At the time of immigration judgment, a passport will be certified for landing permission and a residence card will be issued. When the residential place in Japan is decided, it is necessary to bring the residence card within 14 days and report it to the municipal office of the residential area.
  2. When entering from other than Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Chubu Airport, Kansai Airport
    At the time of immigration judgment, the passport will be certified as a landing permit and the seal of "lending of the residence card at a later date" will be pressed. The residence card will be mailed to the notified residential area after reporting the residential area.

3. Permission for activities outside the status of qualification

Status of Residence "Study abroad" is for receiving education at a Japanese school and is not allowed to work. In case of doing a part-time job, you must obtain "permission for non-qualified activities" with permission from the school you enrolle.
In addition, if a foreigner who graduated from a university, junior college, graduate school, or Professional Training College gets a job hunting activity with a status of residence "specific activity", you will also be granted permission to do so.

4. Temporary Returning Procedure

If a foreign national who is in Japan temporarily returns home or goes to another country, unless you get permission from the Regional Immigration Bureau etc. at the Regional Immigration Bureau etc. before going abroad, the Japanese diplomatic establishment abroad You will have to get your visa again with. Let's be careful.

However, those who have a valid passport (passport) and residence cards expressed their intention to enter the country again upon departure and within one year from departure (Those who have a period of stay within one year until the period of stay In principle, you do not need to obtain permission to re-enter Japan before leaving Japan.

When leaving Japan, please be sure to present your residence card and check only the reoutry departure way ED card only n / a return departing indication by re-entry permit column.

5. Update of period of stay

In case of continuing to stay beyond the period of stay that was decided at the time of entry, you must apply for permission to renew the period of stay at the Regional Immigration Bureau etc. (Usually accepted from around 3 months before the expiration)
If you stay illegally, you will be punished or forced to retreat.

6. Change of status of residence

When you decide to stop activities you are currently doing and conduct activities that correspond to other status of residence (for example, when graduating from a Japanese school and going to a Professional Training College or a university etc), change the status of residence at the Regional Immigration Bureau etc. You must obtain permission.

(If you conduct a business with income without obtaining permission or do activities to receive remuneration, you will be punished or forced to leave.)

7. Cancellation of status of residence

The status of residence will be canceled, such as falsifying the activities or career that the applicant is going to perform, or submitting counterfeit documents.
(Also, even if you have not done the activity of the status of residence you have now for more than 3 months, your status of residence will be revoked, unless there is a valid reason.


Regarding visa-related information, please be sure to check with the latest information of government agency announcement. We can not assume any responsibility for damage etc. due to the difference with written information. Please note.